The Royal Commission held its first round of hearings on Wednesday 25 January 2023 and Friday 27 January 2023.
The purpose of these initial hearings was to build a picture with respect to current early childhood education and care in South Australia along with a consideration of the impact of early childhood education and care on child development.
Witnesses and submissions
Learn more about the witnesses providing evidence and view their supporting submissions.
Watch our public hearings live
Wednesday 25 January - Morning sessions (PDF, 658.5 KB) | Afternoon sessions (PDF, 647.1 KB)
Friday 27 January - Morning sessions (PDF, 535.3 KB) | Afternoon sessions (PDF, 501.4 KB)
Evidence was heard on the following topics:
- Session 1: How are SA children going overall? How are they going in the early years?
Witness: Associate Professor Victoria Whitington, Child Development Council
- Session 2: What are the key inputs to changing a child’s development outcome?
- Dr Rhiannon Pilkington, BetterStart, University of Adelaide
- Professor Sally Brinkman, University of South Australia
- Dr Hayley Guiney, University of Otago
- Session 3: What do we know about the state of South Australia’s ECEC sector?
- Gordon Combes, The Briars Preschool
- Jane Lemon PSM, Citron Early Childhood Consultancy
- Catherine Cavouras, Taikurrendi Children and Family Centre
- Session 4: What do we know about how ECEC can support child development?
- Associate Professor Brigid Jordan, University of Melbourne
- Professor Iram Siraj, Oxford University
- Professor Sharon Goldfeld, Murdoch Children’s Research Institute
- Session 5: A panel to discuss the history and key innovations in South Australia’s preschool system.
- Professor Sandie Wong, Macquarie University
- Associate Professor Victoria Whitington, University of South Australia